Fluoride is an important mineral that plays a role in preventing tooth decay and cavities. It can be applied to the teeth or taken as a supplement (called systemic fluoride). It makes tooth enamel stronger and resistant while off-putting the harmful effects of plaque. It also remineralizes the teeth which helps repair early decay.
WAYS OF APPLYING FLUORIDE-
· As soon as the child’s first tooth is visible, start brushing his or her teeth with a very small amount of fluoride toothpaste (only about the size of a rice grain)
· The amount of fluoridated toothpaste should be pea-size at the age of 3 years.
· Fluoride rinses can be used safely in children above 6 years of age.
· Other ways of fluoride application include varnishes, gels, or foams but these are to be applied by a certified pedeatric (child) dentist, especially in children prone to cavities and dental decay.
Fluoride is generally added to drinking water in all areas in India but children who are more prone to decay and cavities may need fluoride supplements under the guidance of a child dentist.
DOES YOUR CHILD NEED EXTRA FLUORIDE?
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends some form of fluoride for all children in the age group of 6 months to 16 years. If drinking water in your area is not fluoridated; contact a child dentist to know about the best form of fluoride supplementation. If your child drinks bottled water, a child dentist can recommend a product that contains fluoride. Children can get adequate fluoride from brushing and eating food prepared with tap water. Contact a child dentist to know about the appropriate dental hygiene products and procedures.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS ASSOCIATED WITH THE USE OF FLUORIDE?
· Fluoride in all forms is generally considered safe by child dentists. Health risks can arise only in rare cases limited to misuse or excess. To avoid these risks:
· Avoid the child swallowing toothpaste or any other mouth care products
· A parent or guardian should help a child with tooth-brushing till the age of 7 to 8 years
· A condition known as dental fluorosis can develop in milk teeth during pregnancy. Contact a child dentist after conception to know about the same.
· Fluorosis cannot occur in teeth that have erupted in the mouth.
To know more contact us at KIDZ AND BRACES DENTAL CLINIC-
Kidz and Braces is a Dental Clinic in Jaipur that specializes in child dental treatment and braces. Our specialist team has pediatric (child) dentist and orthodontist (teeth braces specialist) who provide dental care for babies, kids, and teens. Kidz and Braces Dental clinic in Jaipur feature a play area with toys, swings, a water fountain to calm all your anxieties along with music, a Smart High Definition TV on the roof (first in Rajasthan), and a very cheerful and relaxing interior to make your visit a memorable one. We also have one of the world’s best “HAPPY AIR” conscious sedation equipment to provide a calming and relaxing dental treatment with the most affordable charges. All the dental treatment is carried out by experts in various branches of dentistry to ensure a swift and painless procedure for you and your loved ones.