What is meant by dental implants?
A dental implant is used to replace one or more missing teeth.It is made up of titanium, and replaces the failed root of the tooth and placed similar to the root in the jaw bone. It can be used to replace a single tooth, multiple teeth or support a denture.
When are dental implants advised?
Dental implants are generally advised if you have teeth missing due to injury, tooth decay, or any periodontal disease. You are considered a right candidate for dental implant ifyou have:
- Healthy gums
- Sufficient bone to hold the implant.
- Good oral hygiene
- Committed for regular follow-up
- Healthy enough to undergo an extraction of tooth or oral surgery if needed.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
The advantages include:
- Improved appearance, speech, oral health and comfort leading to improved self –esteem
- Ease of eating and convenience
- Long lasting and durable.
What preparation is required before starting treatment withdental implants?
Treatment plan is developed by a team of specialists about the procedure specially required for you.
What steps are followed during the treatment?
The following steps are followed:
- Placement of a small titanium post (resembles a screw), into the bone socket of the missing tooth. (After some time this post is held in place tightly by the jawbonewhich heals, and grows around it).Healing time varies with different individuals and generally it takes around six to 12 weeks.
- After the bonding of the implant to the jawbone, another post which is small called an abutment isused. It acts as a connector and it is attached to the post which helps to hold the new tooth securely.
- Impressions of your teeth, is taken
- Shade matching is done.
- Model of your bite is created
- A crown (replacement tooth) is subsequently attached to this abutment.
What precautions should be taken post-procedure for success of the treatment?
The post-procedure care of implants should be exactly the same as for natural teeth, which includes
- Rinsing after every meals
- Brushing, and then rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash,
- Flossing regularly
- Follow-up check-ups.
Are dental implants painful?
Pain in dental implants is barely minimum, which is less than even one which happens with dental extraction.
Why are dental implants preferred over dentures (fixed or removable)?
Dental implants are preferred due to the following reasons:
- They give you more natural-looking replacement for your missing teeth.
- They help in maintaining the bone in your jaw.
- It is devoid of risk of slipping or clicking while doing functional activities
- Food lodgment between the gums is prevented.
- It is long lasting and value for money treatment.