Dental Braces (Orthodontic treatment)
Who is an orthodontist?
Orthodontist is a specialist (basically a dentist) whose main focus is to correct bites, patient’s occlusion, and straightening teeth. Difference between the two is that your general dentist helps you in improving oral health overall, whereas an orthodontist is the specialist who helps in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of irregularities be it dental or facial , thereby helping in correcting alignment of jaws ,teeth and correct bite.
What is meant by dental braces?
Orthodontists use wire-based appliances called dental braces to correct crowded and malaligned teeth or jaws, which is mainly given in the early teenage years, but can also be beneficial for adults. Alignment (or straightening) of your teeth and jaws is the goal of the braces which will help to fulfill your motto of an even bite and a beautiful smile.
What is the best age for orthodontic treatment?
As it is necessary for your orthodontist to check a child’s existing and newly erupting teeth and take an early decision whether the child requires a treatment or not assessment is must between 8-10 years of age as per the Australian Society of Orthodontists.
What are the uses of starting treatment at an early age?
Though treatment is not done before 5 years of age, evaluation at an early age can be useful in the following ways:
- Determining problems related with the jaw and teeth in a child
- Financially beneficial
Is treating adult patients with orthodontic treatments worth it?
Completely! Orthodontic treatment helps not only in straightening of the teeth thereby creating confidence, but also prevents tooth decay alongwith other oral health. So in cases where you have refrained from smiling in photos throughout your life getting braces or clear aligners even in adulthood can change your life. So –hurry up don’t waste time to explore a smiling you.
What are the benefits of orthodontic treatment in adults?
- Betterment of oral health
- For posing in Selfies
- Boosting confidence
- Preparing yourself for a special day in your life
What are different types of braces?
When are dental braces advised?
Advised in cases of jaw malalignment (or crooked teeth) causing:
- Overcrowded teeth
- Crooked teeth
- When there is excess space or gap between the teeth
- Upper and lower front teeth overlap too much:(when vertical it is overbite and when horizontal it is overjet)
- When during the bite the upper front teeth are placed behind the lower i.e. underbite
- Uneven bite
What preparation is required before starting treatment with dental braces?
- The orthodontist will conduct thorough examination of oral cavity, followed by several X-rays of the teeth.(X rays as per requirement, maximum 2 x-rays as preferred)
- Plaster models will be made of your mouth using temporary material which will help to check bite.
- Tooth extraction may be done in case of overcrowding
- In certain cases jaw surgery is also advised.
What steps are followed during the?
- Placement of braces or clear aligners
- Periodic adjustments
- Wearing of a retainer after removal of braces.
What precautions should be taken post-procedure for success of the treatment?
- Minimize the use of sugary, starchy, sticky and hard foods.
- Brush or rinse your teeth with water after every meal. Your braces should be free of every particle after rinsing.
- Regular use of mouthwash is preferred
- Prefer a fluoride rinse if advised.
- Use dental floss or a flexible brush (especially designed ortho brush) to clean spaces between braces and under wires.