Diabetes is a disorder that affects the body’s ability to process sugar and results in high blood sugar levels, which can cause problems with eyes, nerves, kidneys, heart and other parts of the body.
In today’s modern lifestyle, even children are more prone to developing diabetes at an early age. So it is important to look for these signs in your child too and contact a Pedodontist or a Child dentist to get the necessary care
The first step in getting adequate care for your kid from the child dentist is to give a thorough medical, drug and diet history. If possible, give a copy of the physician’s prescription to the child dentist you visit.
The two main aims of dental care of a diabetic child are
- First, to eliminate and prevent any oral infection which may tend to upset the stability of the sugar balance
- Second, to try to maintain healthy tissues.
Scheduling of Visits
Early morning appointments are preferred .Make sure your child eats a normal breakfast before the appointment. For certain procedures (eg: conscious sedation) the child dentist ( or Pedodontist) may request the patient to alter his/her diet before the procedure in consultation with the patients physician.
A number of dental conditions have been associated in patients with diabetes in children which include:
Gum and Periodontal Disease
- Swollen gums(gingivitis)
- There appears to be an increased tendency to plaque and tartar deposition
- If not controlled, there may be loss of bony support and teeth may become loose.
- Scaling may need to be carried out frequently and must be thorough, though as non-traumatic as possible
- Make sure your Pedodontist (or Child Dentist) gives you proper instructions for correct tooth – brushing and gum massage.
Salivary Gland Dysfunction
- Xerostomia or dry mouth due to less salivary secretion
- Frequent sipping of water, ice chips or use of sugarless gums, saliva substitutes will help your child.
- Dry mouth increases the chances of dental decay.
- Diabetic children have more active dental caries (tooth decay) due to the high glucose levels and dry mouth.
- These decayed teeth should be filled as soon as observed.
Oral Burning and Taste Alterations
Patients with diabetes have reported increased complaints of burning mouth and altered taste . Good glucose control may control these.
Children with diabetes have a higher prevalence of oral ulcers and
Children with poorly controlled diabetes are at risk of developing oral complications because of their susceptibility to infection and the child dentist may prescribe supplemental antibiotic therapy.
Braces treatment and Appliances
It is absolutely safe to carry out braces treatment in a diabetic child if proper hygiene instructions are followed
Extraction of teeth
- In a non-vital tooth with evidence of infection, extraction is the only treatment of choice.(Remember is essential to have no source of infection in the body ,especially in diabetic patients)
- Extraction under local anesthesia usually creates no special problem in diabetic children under good sugar control.
Visit us at Kidz and Braces Dental Clinic, best kid’s dental clinic in Jaipur to know more about your own dental care as well as your child’s teeth. We, are a team of doctors specializing in child dentistry and braces treatment in Jaipur. Dr. Gaurav Ram Chandani (Exclusive kid’s dentist in Jaipur) and Dr. Bhakti Ram Chandani (best braces specialist in Jaipur) along with a best panel of specialists of RCT, Implants, Oral surgery , Gum care and advanced dental care.