Are you wearing braces and worried about your oral hygiene?? Read this article written by an exclusive practising orthodontistto know more..
Nowadays braces have become very common among children, teenagers as well as adults and with the advancement in science and technology related to braces, better outcomes are achieved in alignment and straightening of teeth.
- But taking care of your braces and oral hygiene while undergoing treatment is an important aspect of the whole process.
- The more thoroughly you care for your braces, the more comfortable and effective they will be.
- Reduced treatment time may be an added advantage.
So, let’s discuss some aspects of routine care while undergoing braces treatment.
TOOTH BRUSHING WITH BRACES
- The first and most important aspect is taking the time to brush your teeth regularly.
- It is recommended to brush teeth after every meal, as food particles are more likely to stick to your braces, encouraging the buildup of debris, plaque and eventually tartar (calculus).
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and also fluoridated toothpaste (i.e, toothpaste which contains with fluoride).
- If you are wearing any elastics or any orthodontic appliance as suggested by your orthodontist that you can take off those elastics and any other removable parts of your orthodontic appliance before you start brushing.
- Also note that there are many brands of orthodontic toothbrushes available in the market for additional cleansing in between the braces and wire. Though not a necessity, yet they provide you with much more comfort for a fresher and cleaner oral cavity.
FLOSSING WITH BRACES
- Flossing after meals will also help you remove food particles from your teeth and braces.
- Again, be gentle with the floss.
RESTRICTION OF CERTAIN FOOD ITEMS
- Avoid sticky, chewy or hard foods. Sticky and chewy foods, such as caramels or candy, are likely to get stuck.
PROTECTING YOUR BRACES
- If you would like to play sports regularly, inform your orthodontist (braces specialist) so that you can have a mouth guard made
- This is so that there is no damage to the braces or teeth during a game.
TROUBLESHOOTING WITH BRACES
- Even with the utmost care and caution, some things may break or snap.
- In that case, you need to inform your orthodontist right away.
Visit us at Kidz and Braces Dental Clinic, best kids & teen’s dental clinic in Jaipur to know more about braces, your dental care as well as your child’s teeth.
We are a team of top dentists specialized in child dentistry and braces treatment in Jaipur. Dr. Gaurav Ram Chandani (Topmost & Best Exclusive kid’s dentist in Jaipur, Rajasthan) and Dr. Bhakti Ram Chandani (Topmost & Best Exclusive braces specialist in Jaipur, Rajasthan) along with the best panel of specialists of RCT, Implants, Oral Surgery, Gum care, and advanced dental care.